11.11.2003

Just checking in here for a minute. I have no school tomorrow, so I was going to celebrate by reading some fanfic tonight. Then I am going to watch some movies tomorrow.

I worked tonight, just got home about half an hour ago. It was extremely slow until about 9:40. Then a bunch of people my age came in. I guess they were celebrating the day off from school too.

FYI, if you happen to be one of those people who like your chocolate shake (or malt) made with vanilla ice cream please don't assume that all chocolate shakes (or malts) are made with vanilla ice cream. Knowing that a lot of people DO assume this I always ask (having learned my lesson the hard way my first week on the job) which ice cream he or she would like. So tonight this man comes in and he asks me if we make chocolate shakes. I told him that, yes, we do. He said he would like four. Then he walked over to the other counter to order some doughnuts from my co-worker. So I'm pouring the milk and putting in the chocolate syrup, and I'm thinking, "he didn't specify what kind of ice cream. Usually when someone wants vanilla they make a point of telling you." Then I thought, "no, I'm not going to take this chance." So I walked over to the other side and I said to him, "Would you like them made with chocolate or vanilla ice cream?" He looked at me like I was nuts and said, "Chocolate." FYI, it seems like most people who want chocolate ice cream have never heard of some people liking vanilla so getting strange looks when I ask is not unusual. So I go back over and start putting the ice cream in. The guy is done ordering his doughnuts so he comes over and is standing in front of the ice cream counter. I am in the process of putting the ice cream in the second shake when he says to me, "What kind of ice cream are you putting in there?" I'm thinking in my head Um, the kind you asked for.... I said, "Chocolate." He said, "You don't make your chocolate shakes with vanilla ice cream?" I'm thinking !@@#$%^&* I said, "I asked you if you wanted chocolate or vanilla. You said chocolate." (FYI, I was not irate or anything. I like to think that I am pretty good at remaining calm when there is an upset costumer. I don't argue with them and I say "I'm sorry" over and over.) Then he said, "You asked me if I wanted a chocolate or vanilla shake." (Even though I was seething right now I still remained calm, but firm. I was not going to give into this guy and play the meek 16 year old. I knew he wanted a chocolate shake!!!!! Remember I had already put in the chocolate syrup!) I just said again, "I asked you about the ice cream." And left it at that. He stopped trying to argue with me. Usually the costumers there aren't too bad. I'd say, of the ones I help anyway, 80% are in a good mood. At least 15% of the other 20% come in already in a bad mood. Sometimes, you can just feel it when a bitchy costumer walks in. Some of them I don't understand.... Ok, one day a few weeks ago this woman comes in and she asked me if we had marshmellow topping. I told her no, that we don't have marshmellow topping, and we've never had it. What does she do? Roll her eyes at me! I'm like, yeah that's real mature. This lady was probably close to my mom's age. She reacted like a five year old when she discoveres her favorite cookies are all gone. I think I may have said "I'm sorry" and then just stood there with a smile plastered on my face. I was thinking, however, Could you at least act happy! You are getting ice cream for goodness sake. The way some people walk in with these attitudes...you'd think they were going to the dentist, not the ice cream and doughnut shop.

Ok, I hope I didn't give you guys the impression that I take this stuff personally because I don't. The only time a costumer really bothered me for several days was when I was first starting to work and this lady paid with a $100 bill, only she didn't make a point of showing me how much money it was now. Now I know I should have looked at it closer, but in my defense we had a line pratically out the door so I was trying to get people in and out quickly. Plus, how many people pay for ice cream (which totaled under ten dollars) which a 100 dollar bill? I mistook her bill for a $10. I'm not kidding, before I have a chance to say a thing, much less hand her her money back she starts jumping all over me. I am like freaking out, ok. She really rattled me and the rest of the night I was a mess. I'm like, lady, I have a line out the door, it's not like I am going to steal your money right now. It was so obvious they she was already prepared for something like that to happen so to this day I still wonder why she didn't make a point out of showing to me that it was a 100. Most people if they have to use a big bill will make a point of handing it to me in such a way that I can't miss it, or better, asking me if I have change.

I went into way too much detail about that story! Oops, I didn't mean to do that, but it still bugs me. Anyway, as I was saying, I don't take most of this stuff personally. And while it may be annoying or frustrating while it's happening I find most of it amusing because some people can be such morons. Of course there is the other extreme too--the people who apologize for ordering! Heh. I'm like, no problem, that's what I'm here for. *g* Then there was the time my co-worker had left the broom out and this guy picks it up and starts sweeping while he's waiting in line.

Later...

|