One Year Ago Today,,,
One year ago today the White Sox won the World Series for the first time in 88 years. It was the best day of my life and when I think back on it, it still does not seem completely real. I have the memories, the pictures, the dvds, but it still seems like a dream. I think because I secretly imagined it so many times and the real thing ended up being exactly like I had always dreamed.
I got to be at home, in Chicago, for that night. It was the first night of fall break and I had taken some friends home with me. The Sox were in Houston, of course, but the atmosphere in Chicago was amazing. On the way home we drove through Bridgeport because we had to drop another classmate off in the area. Every house was decorated. There was a huge sign hanging in the neighborhood thanking the Sox. It wasn't over yet, but we all knew what would happen that night, as I had known all throughout the playoffs. I've been more nervous for games in April than I ever was all of that October. I don't know how I did it, but I just knew. We arrived at my house just in time for the start of the game. I got to watch the game with my family and two of my closest college friends. I remember listening to the radio to hear the last out called so that I could hear John Rooney make his last call--and his most exiciting--as a Sox announcer. The moment was so chaotic, I didn't really know what to do with myself, but there were tears of joy in there somewhere. Not long after, we toasted each other with sparkling cider and watched the players celebrate. To finally have something that whole generations had missed was surreal.
10.26.05. It's a day that will always remain in my memory. We'll always have it, and somehow I suspect, I'll always feel the same way when I think about it. More than anything though, it's got me hungry for more. I want to feel that way again, and soon.
Here's to 2007. Under the radar, again.


<< Home