1.20.2004

I had my math final this morning. I hope I did all right. I never can tell with math. I usually feel like I did really well only to find out later that it wasn't that great.

We're having lunch right now. I finished mine early so I thought I'd blog for a couple of minutes before I have to get back to school.

One thing I don't understand is the mind of a dishonest person, the mind of someone who would steal or try to trick you into giving them something that isn't theirs. Something happened at work last night, and I'm going to see if I can re-tell it in a way that makes sense (because even thinking about it gets me confused). This guy comes in and orders a kiddie size scoop of ice cream. The total was slightly over a dollar and he paid with a five dollar bill plus the change so I gave him back four dollar bills. He then says something about getting some change from me so I said, "Ok, what do you what?" (meaning quarters, dimes, etc because sometimes people will give me a dollar and ask for change instead because they are going on a toll road or something.) The next thing I know he's saying something about seeing the five dollar bill. I thought that seemed a little strange, but maybe the guy has a lot of ones he wants to get ride of. So I take his money and count it, but it's only the $4 I had given him in change. I tell him that there is only $4 so I need one more if he wants the five dollar bill. So he digs through his pockets and gives me another one. I start to hand him the five dollar bill and he says something about seeing the ten dollar bill. In my head I'm thinking "WTF?" So I say to him, "Ok, but you need to give me five more dollars if you want the ten." He said, "But I gave it to you already." I told him several times that he gave me $5 dollars. He gave me five 1's in exchange for the five dollar bill. So then I had the 1's and he had the 5. What he did was try to give me back that 5 and say that he had given me ten dollars total. See how confusing this is? It was *almost* this confusing in person, but not quite, and so that's how I was able to keep who's money was who's straight. Now I know this was all very confusing and I know that there are a lot of people who easily get confused where money is concerned, but the main reason why I think this person was trying to con me was because he didn't argue with me. He tried a couple of times to get me to panic and think I was wrong, but when I wouldn't give in he just asked for a bag for his ice cream and left. After working at this place for 7 months if there's one thing I've found out it's that if a costumer thinks they've been shorted, intentionally or unintentionally, they will ask for thier money. And since this person did not argue at all that leads me to suspect that he knew exactly what he was doing. I just don't understand how anyone can be like that.

Later...

|